Sunday, April 11, 2010

I'm Intolerant

I'm intolerant of intolerant people, and I think it's a problem. I was at a gathering where I really only knew about half the people. Friends of friends were there. In the middle of the festivities I hear the "N-Word" being used along with the phrase "ruining our country." The fact that I didn't know half of these people also meant that those speaking this way didn't either. So, in a group of perfect strangers, these individuals were being blatantly racist.


Whenever I'm in these situations, it bothers me for days. I wasn't part of the conversation taking place. I was kind of passing by. Ever since then, I just can't stop thinking, in disbelief, that there is still this kind of thing going on.


The few times that I have found myself face-to-face with this type of stuff, I clearly point out my disagreement. To me, even if you're not a God-concerned person who feels we're all made in God's image and are therefore equal, I feel we live in a country that was founded on diversity. Anyone not enjoying our colorful makeup needs to realize they're living on the wrong planet.


Yesterday my wife and I met an Asian grandmother that was raising her grandson. We talked enough to learn that much about her. Today, my kids played on a playground with what sounded like a German family, and English was clearly not their first language. There was also the Caucasian grandmother with the African-American grandkids. I know it's not a utopia, but this is reality. I can't believe there are still people out there that don't see that, or worse, don't appreciate it.


I just don't get racists. I don't understand where they're coming from or where they think they're going. We live in an ethnically diverse orb spinning through space. Nothing is going to change that. Most people equate those that have tried to change that with the greatest evils perpetrated by mankind. Do these people never leave their homes? Do they not see how the majority of the world has moved past a lot of this? Have they never spoken to someone of a differing heritage? Is it crazy that I have?


Are you starting to pick up on my intolerance? In describing the intolerant, the racists, I really sound very similar to them, and that bothers me too. It bothers me quite a bit.

3 comments:

  1. I like where you're going here, but I must say, I think you ARE being tolerant of the racists. You didn't resort to violence with them. You didn't publicly humiliate them. You were bothered by what they said (which you have a right to be, just as they have a right to say what they said, no matter how tasteless and offensive it may be), and you are dealing with your frustration in a responsible way. That, to me, is tolerance.

    I think tolerance just means we acknowledge people's rights to think and believe what they choose to think and believe, without resorting to violence and intimidation against them, right? If so, you're being completely tolerant of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the thing that scares me is the language I use to describe them is almost verbatim the language they use against those they hate. I get what you're saying though. I don't hate them.

    I pity them because I know there's more going on. These guys Saturday made it very clear, over the course of the night, that they had self esteem issues. Tearing other people down really seemed to make them feel good. It reminded me of being in high school.

    Part of me knows that, even if I consider them enemies, I'm supposed to love them, and it's one of those situations that makes my blood immediately boil. Luckily, with experience, I've learned to bite my tongue in those situations. What comes out of my mouth when I feel that way is rarely helpful to anyone.

    Perhaps I should state that I don't tolerate them well or easily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your conflict is not one of tolerance, but rather one of love. You tolerate them perfectly well, but you feel you do not love them the way you are called to love them.

    Still, I'd say in simply acknowledging your inner reality, you're well on your way.

    ReplyDelete