Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Short Note

I just got back from a quick trip to the grocery store with the boys (ages 2 & 4). Before I can even unpack a grocery sack, Owen is demanding that I turn his DVD back on. I ask him to chill out for a few seconds, and he starts whining that I had said he could continue it when we returned. I repeated that I just needed a few seconds, and he continued to whine. I said (in a calm, understanding tone), "Can you just relax? Can you just have a little patience? You get to do what you're asking. I just need a few more seconds. Chill out. Okay?" And then the thought hit me: Is this what I sound like to God?… like a whining son that wants something trivial to his father who's trying to do a few essential tasks?

Brought a smile to my face despite the fact that I was the whiner.

No comments:

Post a Comment