Wednesday, February 17, 2010

2010 Scrapbook/Journal




About a year before Owen was born, I started a journal type scrapbook to keep a record of what life was like for Heidi and I. Every year since, I've tried to build and improve on the idea. At the beginning of each year, I redesign the layout. I keep a consistent look throughout, but try to separate each month in some way (usually by changing the color scheme). I try to write a new entry at least once a week. The subject matter can be just about anything that pops into my head at the time, whatever I think is important or worth remembering. I include photos, scans of any special material I want to highlight. I include movie and book reviews, quotes from various sources that I find inspirational or timely. I try to include any major news events, but I try to keep things positive when I can. The last few pages of each monthly section are dedicated to entertainment, which television shows we're enjoying, more in-depth reviews.

I do this for two reasons: The obvious being my own benefit, so I can look back on what life was like. The true motivation was to provide a record for my kids. My mother kept a small journal for much of my childhood. It's one of my prized possessions. It gives me a window into her heart and the past. It taught me a lot about her. I want my kids to know me too. I want them to understand our struggles and our triumphs. I hope it gives them some insight into the things we find important especially themselves.

I want to avoid something I encountered with my dad just a few years ago. He was telling me a story one day, and he mentioned something I found shocking, something I never knew about him. The story, which I won't go into detail about here, revealed a side of my father that I never knew concerning his rebel, teenaged past. I just kept thinking, why haven't I heard this before? Why was this side of him hidden from me? Part of me wants to avoid some of that with my kids.

I've created these journals almost exclusively in digital form. For a few years, I would print each section once a month and organize them in scrapbook type books. That's gotten too expensive for our current budget. I use page layout software and Photoshop. I get a lot of images from the internet to make things more interesting when I feel like it.

This year's journal design was heavily influenced by Target's current designs. Specifically, I liked the way the Target logo was repeated on a container of baby wipes.

If you click on the above images, you can view them closer to 100%. I don't mind you reading what's on these pages. Some of it might be somewhat personal, but I chose these pages specifically. I know what's on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment