Monday, April 11, 2011

Movies, Insurance, Sweat, and Bee Rocks…

  • No offense Summer, but I need me a strong dose of Spring before you make your sweaty debut. I have jackets to wear, and books to read outside. I don't want to have to install air conditioners yet.
  • Owen is terrified enough of bees, and he's already seeing them everywhere. Okay. They're usually rocks. He has an overactive imagination.
  • Love and Other Drugs. Ladies, a few questions: So… it's okay for a movie to have gratuitous nudity and sex as long as it's still technically a chick flick? Also… it's okay for the characters to be incredibly shallow as long as there's some romance and someone matures by the end?
  • Insurance work has been an adventure so far.
  • Cold calling potential clients was a difficult thing to start.
  • I've talked to hundreds of answering machines. I should try to come up with something funny to say. Maybe that would get me a few call backs.
  • Have you ever noticed that people that are very patriotic don't like anthems that aren't the National Anthem? I would think songs of unity, even if they're not specifically American, would still hold some interest.
  • I'm going to miss Michael Scott on The Office. For me, that's an almost perfect weekly dose of comedy. It's so well done now, I'm hoping they can keep the show going without him.
  • I saw an article the other day referring to the present musical age as the "Post-Nirvana Era." Do you get the impression that some music writers graduated high school in the early nineties and got stuck in their own musical era? I seem to remember purchasing quite a few albums between 1993-2011 that had no resemblance to grunge or the nineties in any way.
  • "New Superman movie villain revealed!" … And it's the same villain that appeared in the first two eighties movies … snore … General Zod again? He's basically evil Superman with a beard.
  • DC Comics movies continue to fail with their antagonists. Okay. The Batman franchise has been pretty good lately. They had a lot to make up for though. Let's not forget the Bat-nipples and Jimmy Carrey as the Riddler. Didn't Prince do the soundtrack for one of those movies too?
  • If they ever make an Aquaman movie, expect the villains to be a whale and General Zod from the Superman movies.
  • Watching Taxi Driver for the first time made me feel unstable. Not because I identified with the main character in any way. More of a, I feel more unstable for having witnessed him, kind of way.
  • The ongoing controversy of hell and what it might be like can shine some light on what people believe about other aspects of faith. Those who seem to be having the greatest difficulty with Rob Bell or NT Wright or even C.S. Lewis also seem to have the opinion that Heaven is somewhere else, not accessible now. They seem to neglect the now aspects and focus on whether or not we can "get in" after death.
  • I mean no disrespect by pointing this out. If anything, it offers me insight and hopefully understanding into a viewpoint I previously had none.
  • As much of a mess as Sucker Punch turned out to be, I loved the quote at the end… "Who Honors those we love for the very life we live? Who sends monsters to kill us... and at the same time sings that we'll never die? Who teaches us what's real... and how to laugh at lies? Who decides why we live and what we'll die to defend? Who chains us... and who holds the key that can set us free? It's you. You have all the weapons you need. Now fight!"
  • I think they could have fixed the movie pretty easily. I think I get what the director was going for. He just seems to have left a few pieces out. Maybe those pieces will be replaced in the director's cut.
  • I did really dig the sound track.


2 comments:

  1. I thought Love and Other Drugs was a fantastic movie. Both characters had personal reasons why they were living life on the surface. Both were struggling deeply with some stuff. The struggles of Anne Hathaway's character resonated deeply with me as a person with MS. You do feel almost like you don't have a right to ask someone to love you and commit to you. After I was diagnosed, I gave Christy permission to leave me because I didn't feel I could ask her to drink this cup with me.

    Notice how from a certain point in the movie, the gratuitous sex disappeared, never to return. I don't think that was an accident. I thought it was a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave,

    You do realize you're destroying my ability to be snarky and judgemental of chick flicks in general by pointing out that such movies often do have merit?

    Kidding aside, I agree, the scene where he chases down the bus had me smiling from ear to ear. The resulting scene where Maggie finally lets her guard down, it had me thinking of Tuesdays with Morrie, learning to let people do the hard things for you.

    I think what gets me in a lot of these movies is the ease with which the people that you know are "truly in love" move on after the dramatic break up. They don't really tell us how much time passes, but Jamie is soon attending a "pajama" party for grownups, having a three-way, and then he runs into Maggie. She's "with someone." I have trouble getting over the casualness of it all.

    It's a personal thing with me, in that I've never been that way or held the perspective that in love or sex, casualness is acceptable. It's not like I sit in judgement of others that do. There are plenty of people in my life that go through relationships like Kleenex. I see the damage that the casual perspective causes in real life, and I'm sure you do too.

    This casual sex, casual love perspective, it's messed up a lot of people I care about, I guess you could say.

    In this movie, there was a real commitment to hardship that Jamie was gong to have to make, and you're right, most chick flicks don't have many real life conflicts. So, it deserves props for it.

    ReplyDelete