Monday, December 27, 2010

A Thank You for My Wife


Christmas is much more to me than presents, but I wanted to use this post to thank my wife. Being unemployed limits most non-essential purchases on my part. So Christmas is also the one time of year (other than my birthday) where I might receive some of the things I wasn't able to purchase throughout the year.


My wife did an awesome job this year. I know it's hard for her. She hates getting a list from me. She'd rather come up with original, surprise treasures.


I've always been a collector. Some would correct that statement and say I'm a hoarder.


When I was eight years old, He-man toys hit the scene, followed shortly thereafter by the cartoon series. Both were firmly cemented into my childhood. Nothing makes me as effectively nostalgic as Masters of the Universe.


A few years back, Mattel announced an adult collector's line that is only available online for one day a month offering only one or two items per month. Little did they know, the one day time frame would shrink to around one hour due to demand. Most of these action figures sell out in about 45 minutes, and getting on Mattel's website during that time is a nightmare. Add in my before mentioned unemployment, and any hopes I had of collecting this new line quickly vanished.


Heidi stepped up and bought me two of the lynch pin characters for Christmas this year with He-man and Skeletor.


I also received the Wolfman remake on Blu-ray. As a fan of the original Universal films, I was skeptical when I heard they were remaking this one. I was surprised to find it was appropriately updated with effects, small story adjustments that made total sense, and the acting was spot on. The film stars Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins.


I finally have a Joe Hill novel in my possession. Hill is a pen name. He didn't want his famous father's name to drive his career. I'm not so sure you can escape a name like Stephen King however, especially in the horror novel business.


I also have Stuff Christians Like, a funny look at stereotypical Christian behaviors.


Our parents and siblings went a bit overboard this year too. The best part about the special day was getting to spend time with everyone. No one had to work. We didn't rush from house to house. There was warmth and familiarity.

1 comment:

  1. I loved "Heart Shaped Box". I didn't even know he was the King's son until I was finished with it and I looked him up. His follow up "Horns" is really good but "Heart Shaped Box" was better.

    I know you're a comic fan, he does a series for IDW called "Locke & Key" that's actually in talks for a TV show. The comic is amazing, there's 3 hardcovers out right now.

    ReplyDelete