Monday, May 10, 2010

Weekend Randomness Parenting Heavy Edition

  • I was looking through a bunch of old photos last week, preparing a project or two for Mother's Day. Found this photo of my parents and maternal grandparents. My dad is the guy with the beard (obviously), but my youngest brother Bill is the spitting image of him in this photo. Bill even thought that it was himself when given a quick glance of the photo. Even the way he's standing is apparently a genetic trait.
  • I attended "Mother's Day Tea" at Owen's preschool last Friday. Luckily I was far from the only male present.
  • There was mainly just singing. Owen didn't know most of the words. At first, I thought he was just being shy. He kept looking at me, and his expression seemed to ask, "Will I get into trouble with you if I sing along?" I kept trying to get him to participate.
  • Luckily he wasn't the only one not singing. There was the clearly angry kid that was protesting this public group activity, and there was the kid who was moved to loud sobbing because he really, really, really didn't want to be singing.
  • There was one teacher, her whole job was to hand out tissues to the kids before they got too far into their nose picking.
  • Cookies and lemonade followed.
  • Owen had a physical/"well visit" last Friday.
  • Parenting moment that stops you dead in your tracks with dread: Receptionist at the pediatricians' office telling you that your four year old, who has never done such a thing before, will have to pee into a cup that you hold. To the best of my knowledge, my kids can't pee on command, and I was certain we'd be there for hours waiting. Just then, God must have heard an unspoken prayer from the depths of my soul because Owen states very loudly and publicly, "Papa? I have to go pee right now!"
  • It went… okay. I wish there had been paper towels in their restrooms. Now I know what the little metal door in the wall is for.
  • Despite the fact that I'd asked six months prior whether Owen needed any vaccinations at that time and being told no, he was "late" for a few. I had assured him earlier in the day he wouldn't need more than one or two. He needed five!
  • Watching your children cry out in pain because of vaccinations, not easy.
  • With the rain last week, we were forced to take our kids to many indoor play areas. They've gotten used to the extra exercise with our frequent park excursions throughout the week. There were some hard lessons for Owen on more than one occasion last week. You see, sometimes it's fun to pretend that one group of kids is the "alien" or "monster." It all works out okay when it's a group, but sometimes your kid is singled out as a single alien. Usually parents are quick to perceive what's going on and intervene, but sometimes parents don't really care or even seem to remember that they brought progeny.
  • Owen has also failed two vision tests. I'm praying he hasn't inherited the family curse of early onset cataracts. Praying, praying, praying. If I have trouble when he gets vaccinations, I'm not sure how I'd get through eye surgery.
  • Gage is finally stringing words together. Last week he ran in very randomly to ask, "Papa? I ah Beezzah?" Which translates into, "Dad? Can I have a pizza?" The kid goes nuts for pizza.
  • Can't wait for him to go nuts for using the big boy potty.
  • Gage also likes Buddy Holly. I've never heard him attempt to sing before playing Buddy Holly's greatest hits last week while we were driving around.
  • Sorry. I've got to say it. I'm sick of all the Iron Man hype. I love comic books. Liked the first movie enough to watch it twice on DVD. Meh.
  • Thanks to a friend of mine and Relevant FM, I've been listening to a band called 'Fun.' I'm really digging that.
  • Is it wrong that I talked my kids into picking out slightly sexy pajamas as a gift for my wife for Mother's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment